On 30 October 1981, a registered envelope arrived at our village. Inside was an interview card inviting me to Madras Medical College for admission to the MBBS course. The city was nearly 400 kilometers away. I had never traveled there, knew no one who could accompany me, and had neither the means nor the confidence to make the journey alone. I never attended the interview. At the time, it felt like the end of a dream. Looking back more than forty years later, after a career in medicine and cancer research in the United States, I realize it was not the end of the story—it was simply the first unexpected turn.
The Path I Traversed: From Kammankattukalam to Kalam "I never imagined that the hands that once held the plow would one day shake hands with Dr. Kalam. During those days, though life was rooted in toil, I never let go of hope or self-confidence. It was this unwavering belief that turned even unimagined dreams into reality. From humble beginnings to extraordinary moments, my journey stands as a testament to resilience and the power of dreams fueled by determination and self-trust."
Search This Blog
Thursday, July 30, 2026
A turning point - everything is happening for good
On 30 October 1981, a registered envelope arrived at our village. Inside was an interview card inviting me to Madras Medical College for admission to the MBBS course. The city was nearly 400 kilometers away. I had never traveled there, knew no one who could accompany me, and had neither the means nor the confidence to make the journey alone. I never attended the interview. At the time, it felt like the end of a dream. Looking back more than forty years later, after a career in medicine and cancer research in the United States, I realize it was not the end of the story—it was simply the first unexpected turn.
